One of the reasons I've been so looking forward to finding out Rory's gender is so we could start playing her song for her. I read that babies remember a song they heard a lot in utero, and it can help them relax during fussy times. Even if it's not true, I like the sentiment.
And I've also been slowly putting together a handful of songs for her to here after she's born. I've compiled them to share. An explanation of each:
1. I imagine by now there's at least 3 people out there who have figured out that "Aurora" is a song by the Foo Fighters. I first heard the song in high school, and even then the line "I just kind of died for you, you just kind of stared at me" reminded me of giving birth. There are a few other lines I like. "You believe there's somewhere else where it's easier then this" is a line that reminds me of my entire teen experience, and I think can be a big part of the female experience.
And Aurora is the goddess of the dawn, so it plays into my love of mythology and symbolism. It just works for me on so, so many levels. And it's the only name Ryan likes that I've suggested. ;) So "Aurora" will be Rory's belly song. We're listening to it right now.
2. The One Who Knows by Dar Williams & Alison Kraus is missing from the playlist. Williams wrote it for her baby, and it's a really touching song with a lot of sentiment about changing life and parental responsibilities. "You'll fly away, but take my hand until that day. So when they ask how far love goes, when my job's done, you'll be the one who knows." I think it's a really great promise. If you can find it, check it out. I couldn't find it anywhere to put it on the playlist.
3. Reflecting Light by Sam Philips. I just love this song. I like the wonder in it. "I rode the pain down, got off and looked up, looked into your eyes." I like the idea of wearing out words, being brought to your knees by fascination, by awe struck curiosity. And I love the strings.
4. Flowers in the Window by Travis. This song was in our wedding, and I like the exuberant welcoming of someone into your life and letting them know how much better it is now.
5. The Luckiest by Ben Folds. Also in our wedding (I walked down the aisle to it), and it speaks volumes of the understated, understood promise and devotion between Ryan and I. And I think it's nice to let our daughter know about it and see it. Whoa, I've never typed out 'our daughter' before...
6. Gracie by Ben Folds. Okay, so it's our dog's name. But it's the sweetest song to a little girl I've ever heard.
7. Come With Me by Zwan. Another song of welcoming and joy. It's always weird for me to hear Billy Corgan sound euphoric, because I'm grew up on the Pumpkins, but it is such a happy song.
I'll probably add more songs, but this is the list these days.



2 comments:
You're such a thoughtful and attentive mamma. I think it's great that you're already working on passing on a heritage to your little girl. Someone we know here had a baby just last week and named her Rory. First Rory I ever knew. Great name. Great reasons.
Check out these lovely songs too! I can't wait to play them when I have a little one.
>When You Dream by BNL
>Baby Mine by Allison Krauss (of course made famous by the movie Dumbo, though)
Justin caught on to the Foo Fighters song before I did, go fig, he's the big fan. I just love the name and I'm so excited for your baby girl!
Post a Comment