We proposed the idea of home birth with our doc as a "We've been looking into this, what do you think?" Not surprisingly, she is against home birth. She started talking about home birth being the reason for high infant mortality rates 60+ years ago, before hospitals became the site of most home births. I could feel Ryan get tense next to me, and I really, really hoped he wouldn't say anything, because the situation needed to be handled delicately.
Fortunately, he kept his mouth shut, although he later admitted to resisting the urge to get confrontational about her statistics. Then, while telling us how dangerous birth can occasionally be, she told us about a baby who died at the hospital last week. I don't think that anecdote had the effect she intended it to, because my thought was "So, what's going to happen is going to happen, regardless." The illusion of control because you're at a hospital was pretty well debunked for me.
But, she believes in caring for her patients, and she wants me to have the birth that I want to have, so, she is willing to continue being our doctor! I'm so thrilled! And, people pleaser that I am, having someone I deem to be a pseudo-authority figure disagree with my choice was hard, but I toughed it out. We also get to do our ultrasound BEFORE Paris, so hopefully we will find out on Wednesday!
No comments:
Post a Comment