Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A few quick updates while I can't sleep--

1. We've started reading to the baby. I have a gorgeous copy of The Jungle Book that I got when I was nine (according to my nine year-old handwriting inside). Really beautiful, leather bound with gold stamping on the spine, color plate illustrations. Never read it. Go figure. But I kept it, and Ryan and I are taking turns every night reading out of it to the baby. It's got lots of neat themes, and we're both having fun listening to the story. Between that, the NPR, and all the class discussion, this baby is getting lots of exposure to voices and opinions. And me singing in the car. And now I'm hoping to start filling out a nice collection of beautifully bound children's books.

2. I've started a registry, kinda. But I feel like a goob, and I had to look up all sorts of baby registry etiquette, and I feel dumb registering for half of the stuff on the standard registry lists. I don't even use a washcloth (I use a puff or my hands), why would I use one on my kid? The only thing I remember using a washcloth for as a kid was to block water from getting in my eyes when my mom rinsed my hair. And if I can afford a kid, doesn't that mean being able to afford a washcloth? Ack. And since I'm trying to stick with organic and environmentally friendly, it's a lil pricier, so I, again, feel like a goob.

3. I officially have a small dark line running vertically below my belly button. But it's still very faint.

4. Kansas City shower=October 18.

5. Class today was great, going to be a lovely semester. Don't have to do a thesis, I can do two research papers and an exam instead. AND after this semester I will only need two classes. So I think I'll spend spring and summer semester writing two research papers, and then take two classes in the fall of 2010. And then move away and have a career again. But this way I have a 7 or 8 months to be at home and decide what I want to do. Very fortunate to even have that option.

6. Trying to decide whether to announce the gender if we find out tomorrow, or just keep it under wraps till we get back from France and enjoy having a secret.... I know at least one person (perhaps only one person) who would object to that...

1 comment:

Christie said...

That would be me!!! I feel the need to shop for baby things! Don't destroy my addiction