I did an AMAZING JOB packing. I'm even sharing a suitcase--not Mr. "Three t-shirts, two dress shirts" Ryan--ME! Ms. "An extra dressy outfit just in case, an extra set of heels in case I don't feel like the others and make up, toiletries, jewelry, blah blah blah." I almost feel like sharing a suitcase with my daughter qualifies me as more of a grown up than actually giving birth to her did. And, yes, she has spare outfits, too. But it's because sometimes she pees on them.
Speaking of which, we switched to disposable diapers for the trip, and it is WEIRD. They're so thin, for one thing, they don't seem like they can hold anything. And then you have to throw them out (which is actually extra work at our house, instead of throwing them into the bucket of water and detergent next to the changing table).
It's going to be a fun week--tomorrow night we're hanging out with Mom, Wednesday we're having dinner with my family so everyone can meet Rory. Thursday we are driving down to Connecticut to see my Memaire and hopefully a few other relatives. Friday we will have lunch at Aunt Carrie's, then head to NH. Saturday is dinner to celebrate my stepmom's 50th birthday (Dad even arranged a sitter for us). Sunday-Tuesday will just be hanging out till we fly out. There will be loads and loads of pictures.
And now, THINGS THAT IRRITATED ME (dun da DUN!)
1. Woman cleaning my teeth asked how baby is sleeping. I said she sleeps pretty well, and since she cosleeps, waking up to feed her isn't a problem. She says she used a bassinet next to the bed. I nod and squirm since she is poking my gums. As she's finishing up a few minutes later, before passing me off to the doc, she says "Try that bassinet, it'll help with your problem."
Uh... say what? I missed the problem part... Cosleeping is like installing car seats or operating heavy machinery--you have to do it properly! Don't drink, don't have insane amounts of pillows, don't cosleep if nothing wakes you up. But if you're an average person who has never fallen off the bed or accidentally rolled into your husband, then you probably know the bounds of your body and are aware of your child. And I'm pretty sure most mommies sleep a little lighter once their babies are born.
2. Woman in Target who says to me "You know that sling was recalled, right?" concerning the Moby Wrap my husband is carrying our adorable unconscious daughter in.
ACTUALLY, meddling-woman-who-means-well-but-doesn't-have-her-facts-straight, it hasn't been. You're thinking of the Infantino which is a different brand and different style than the giant piece of cloth I'm using (how do you recall a fabric square?). But thanks for pursing your lips and looking disapproving when I said it was fine. And guess what Infantino is replacing the dangerous slings with? Their version of a Moby Wrap, which is safe. Because, much like car seats and heavy machinery, YOU HAVE TO USE IT CORRECTLY. Which is why there are instructions.
I'm giving the Moby Wrap one more comment during an excursion out (it has to be someone I don't know, smartasses), and then I'm pining a note that says "This sling has not been recalled and is perfectly safe. Thanks for your concern. Bugger off."
And that has been this week in Things That Irritated Me.
And, finally, a fabulouso article about the safety of home birth, and why home birthers want to slap people upside the head when they say "You're SO BRAVE!" or "What if something goes wrong!?!?!?"
Click HERE.
1 comment:
I really enjoyed the things that irritated you, because it's SO TRUE! Have fun on your trip!
Post a Comment