Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why I Won't Spank (and other opinions you don't care about)

Let me start by saying I was spanked, and I'm (mostly) fine. I have issues, but I don't think any of them are the result of spanking. Ryan was spanked until his mom went back to school for master's in psychology, and then he and his brother were never spanked again.

I like to hope I can find ways of disciplining Rory without hitting her, is what it comes down to for me. I would never want to cross the line of hitting her out of anger and not for discipline. I feel like I can trust myself to be able to do that, but why risk it?

The only thing I remember about being spanked is that I was not in control. I remember being extra mouthy after one to try to assert myself as still having my own opinions and being pissed off. In my, very unprofessional, opinion, all spanking does it let the kid know that since they are smaller and weaker they better behave. To me it doesn't encourage good behavior for good reasons, but out of fear.

Dr. Sears (who has some great sleep tips that are helping us out with Rory) has some really great reasons not to spank, including Biblical ones. While I'm not a practicing Christian, I definitely think the Bible has some wisdom, and was surprised to find the rod verses lingering in my head. While I naturally opposed spanking, all those church messages had stuck around. To check out the Dr. Sears take on spanking, click here.

What do you think? Do you spank? Why or why not? Were you spanked? Did that help form your opinion?

No comments: