Last night I tried a new recipe out of my Kind Diet book!
I bought some barley at the grocery store this week, wanted to try a new grain and I always liked it in soups. And then I got home and found out that people seem to only put barley in soups. It was very difficult to find a not soup recipe for it.
So, I hit up the book and found a Barley Casserole recipe, and I had all the ingredients--except celery. Which I dislike anyway.
You boil the barley for an hour while you saute onions, garlic, and shoyu (unpasteurized soy sauce--live cultures, baby!). Add carrots and spices, saute for a while longer. Put cooked barley into the mix.
Then came the magic.
Saute onions with water till they are soft, then blend with tahini (sesame seed paste--usually used in hummus) and some spices (parsley, basil, oregano). Makes a delicious smooth, creamy (really!) sauce.
In a 8x13 pan, layer barley mixture and sauce. Bake for 30 minutes. It was excellent. Rory loved it, Ryan loved it, I loved it. I have fun cooking with proteins like seitan and tofu, but this was great by itself. Really yummy, really cheap!!
3 comments:
Definitely sounds like something I could do (except that I have no clue what amounts you used and I still have no idea how to cook...only how to follow a recipe). Tracking down tahini in this town was quite an amusing experience, but now that I have it, I rarely make hummus and have no clue what else to do with it. Sounds like something to try!
By the way, I stumbled on this blog and am looking forward to checking it out more: http://wholefamilyfare.blogspot.com. Thought you might enjoy it!
Wow, her photos are beautiful!
I lent out my book, but when I get it back I will email you the particulars of the barley casserole.
Post a Comment