Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A little tune.

Ryan and I heard Amber Rubarth perform this song last night at TEDxKC. We both looked at each other and started cracking up. It's kind of completely about us. Like, a lot.


LYRICS:
You always see things how they are
I always see them how I want them to be
So when the night grows dark
You've got your flashlight and a back up battery
And I'm out wishing on a star
And stubbing my bare feet, just feeling my way around again

And I never see it coming
Even when it came before
At that same exact time
And through the same exact door
But you've been planning your defense
For every possible attack
You're fighting off shadows that would've just passed

It's how we get by
It's how we feel safe
You learned how to hold on tight
I learned to push it all away

So now I'm living in the woods
You're living high up on a hill
I keep my ear to the ground
You keep inside of what you built
You were born with the horns of a ram on your head
I was born a maiden in a wildflower bed

You never do what they say
I have a hard time speaking up
Sometimes it'd serve you to soften
And it'd serve me to get tough
You're like a rock, you take your stand
I'm like a tumbleweed, I dance
We both make it through the hard times

It's how we get by
It's how we feel safe
You learned how to call them out
I learned to pardon their mistakes
It's how we get by
It's how we feel safe
You learned how to start a fire
And I learned to make rain

It's how we get by
It's how we learn to feel safe

No comments: