Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Guaranteed Post Election Blog

I'm still grinning like a goofball over last night. Not even because of Obama (okay, a little, teeny bit), but because of Maryland. And Maine. And Washington. And Minnesota.

Marriage equality.

And I have some conservative fb friends who are frustrated with the direction the country is going. But I am a firm believe that religious values have no place in government. If you don't want to enter into a gay union, don't. You don't get to tell other people that they can't. And, I agree, "marriage" is a religious term that has been commandeered by government. If I had my way, anybody legally bound in the eyes of government would be "partners," but oh well. 

I believed all the above when I was a practicing Christian, too. Still have the op-ed piece in my writing portfolio to prove it. Separation of church and state is a big deal. And your principles shouldn't impede on somebody else's right to happiness.

And Colorado, I mean, that's cool, but not something I get thrilled over. I do think marijuana should be legal if caffeine and alcohol are. And it should be illegal to drive under the influence of it. Regulate and tax it.

I LOVE this direction. This direction is open-minded, hopefully tied with open-hearts and acceptance of choices we don't make, but fight for others' right to.

I feel like the social conservative Christians that hijacked the Republican party (and no, that's not all social conservative Christians) have been the loudest members of society lately. Anti-choice, anti marriage equality, Obama is a foreign Muslim socialist, and on and on is all I've been able to hear lately.  This election was such a delightful surprise because the quiet moderates spoke back in their language.

I don't have a problem with Republicans. I think the fiscal policies can make sense, although I still lean more towards taxes for schools and well-fare. I have a problem with equating so many social issues with Republicans. Most of the Republicans I know (considered moderate by today's Tea Party standards, and also they are atheists) don't give a shit about social issues. Marry who you want. Abortion shouldn't be used as birth control (I agree). But all of the positive things Republicans can do and be has been drowned in this circus of "legitimate rape (SO glad my state thoroughly rejected somebody as stupid as Todd Akin. Yes, stupid.)" and "birth-certificate" and Donald Trump insanity. Take back your party! The loudest people in the room are the nut jobs and they aren't doing you any favors.

The only sprinkling of rain on my parade? The sore losers. I would have stayed up and watched Romney's acceptance speech. You know why? Because he would have been my president. Because even I disagreed, I would have to respect the decision of over half the country, rather than just write them off as crazy, stupid, or communists.

I don't remember hearing about this type of vitriol in the past, and maybe I'm looking on what I never experienced with rose-colored glasses, but I feel like there used to be respect for the office and the men that held it. We might not agree with the President, but there wasn't this sort of hand-wringing despair following an election. Dramatic much? Besides writing off your friends and family who voted differently than you as morons, you're contributing to the polarization of this country. And that crap started with Senators who got on TV and said it was their goal to make Obama a one term president, but it surely does not need to continue with us.

What I would love to see is the Republicans say "Ok, the majority of the country wants this guy in office, so let's see what we can accomplish together." I'd like to see people who voted for Romney say "Aw man, I really liked that guy. Now what can I do for my neighborhood and community to start moving in the direction I'm comfortable with." Guess what? Bitching does a great job at breeding discontent. And not much else. And, yes, I would be saying this had it gone the other way, because I thought it was going to, and have been mentally writing this for three days.

A deep, and heartfelt, congratulations to the LGBT community for yesterday's progress. What a phenomenal and surprising (to me, I had no idea it was on so many ballots) step in the right direction.  And congratulations to all the snack makers in Colorado. Ya'll are gonna make bank.