Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving was.... difficult. I always miss my family, but this year I sort of orchestrated a big family meal with Ryan's extended family at his grandparent's house. Ryan has fond memories, as I do, and I wanted to make that happen for him and his little girl.

Rory got to meet her second cousin, Hailey, and they hit it off like gangbusters. The only point of contention was when Hailey was running around on all fours and Rory laughed and said, "She's crawling like a bug!" and Hailey very seriously explained that she was a horse. They worked it out and ate their weight in veggies before dinner.

I felt so microscopically stared at that I did this horrible thing I do. After too much attention I tend to just avoid eye contact and pretend people aren't there. It's not a stellar habit. But I could not move from room to room without being asked "Are you okay?" "Can I get you something?" "What do you need, Kate?" "Would you like some water?" "What can I do for you?". Seriously, EVERY time I got up and moved from point A to point B. I know, because I started keeping track to make sure I wasn't just being paranoid. I wasn't. But I was being seriously smothered.

But other than my own little hang ups, it really went well. The turkey and stuffing came out perfect, Ryan's grandma could enjoy her family and not stand (her feet bother her), and Ryan got to see people he hadn't see in a long time. I took a long nap every day I was there.  And anti-anxiety meds stolen from Ryan.  And got through it, although I am miffed at my own poor behavior. Maybe I'll grow up some day.

We got our tree today (Rory and I both think it's too skinny, but it does fit the space better). Life will never be the same with that little Roo. This was the first year she got excited about the tree. She decorated and danced and tickled and drank egg nog and fell in love with "Do you hear what I hear?" She's been around for almost three years, but this was the first time that Christmas decorating didn't feel like a couple event, but a family event. And it was enchanted. We ended the evening with all three of our heads under the tree watching the lights twinkle. Rory thought they were "tickle" lights so when they'd flash she'd grab her ribs and shriek and yell "They're tickling me!" So, so silly.

And now I'm going to snuggle up in my jammies to watch White Christmas with some Bailey's. Good night all!

No comments: