Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Parent Teacher Conference

Rory: You're having a baby, and I'm having a baby, so that means we'll have twins.

***

Rory: Mom, boy don't have bums.
Me: Yes, they do, they're back here. Just like ours.
Rory: No, Mom, that's where their peanuts are.

***

We had our first parent teacher conference today. No news, which was good. I had worked myself up that because Rory refuses to say hi back to people her teacher would insist on getting her tested for autism or something. When I go dark, I go dark.

Turns out, that's normal? Rory will make eye contact, but she, like most kids her age, doesn't like all the attention when she enters a room. The teacher's own granddaughter hides under a table. I felt better.

When Rory pays attention, she has laser focus and a great memory. However, often she does not pay attention, and instead makes faces at the other kids (which is exactly what she does in dance class, except she makes faces in the mirror).  She and another girl aren't allowed to sit together because they just stare at each other and make faces.

When she does her work, she cannot be distracted (which we knew, she's been like that since birth). She loves sensorial work and arts and crafts (also, not news - she comes home from school and colors and cuts for hours. If she could paint all day, she would). She's starting to show interest in math and is showing quick progress, as well as letters and language. She can also write her name, although she refuses to demonstrate this at home. And now that she can write "Rory" she's informed the teacher she would like to switch to "Aurora."

She also likes to grab people's faces and try to sit on her friends. Also not a surprise, as I have to reprimand her occasionally to keep her hands off my face. The teacher said the kids really enjoy her and playing with her, she fits in well, until she gets grabby, and then, suddenly they don't. We will be talking about who we can climb on and rough house (daddy) and who's space we need to be respectful of (not daddy).

All good. She's an artistic, funny, smart little thing, and doing well!

No comments: