Friday, January 31, 2014

Rory's history

Rory: Mommy, who is my big sister?
Me: You don't have one.
Rory: (confused face) But.... who taught me things?

The little miss is very excited to teach things to her brother. She's also gotten VERY interested in her own genealogy. She's asked if she has any cousins (we mention Quentin - her only first cousin, Haley, and the Bowler cousins), who her great-grandparents are, which ones are still alive, how they died, etc.

It's actually been a little awkward for me. We talk about three of her grandparents - Diana, Lee, and Paige. I just sort of leave my dad out since he hasn't spoken to me in about a year and a half. She asks who my dad is, and I say his name is Steve, and I don't tie him with the Pepe that she doesn't hear from anymore.

She's lucky, all of her great grandmothers are still with us (Byrl, Joan, Norma, and Yvonne), but only one great grandfather - Floyd (and Harry only passed away a couple years ago, whereas both of my grandfathers died when I was around 11). And it's hard to explain why they died, so I just tell her that my grandpas didn't take very good care of themselves, and so their bodies got tired and sick sooner than they might of. And I tell her Harry took better care of himself and he got to meet her when she was a baby, and it was just time for him to go. His body was tired and he'd had a long, full life.

She seems pretty satisfied with the answers, and I like seeing the interest in her own history. Today for show and tell (the letter of the week is 'R') she took a stuffed white rabbit. We talked about things she could say about the rabbit, and I told her it used to be my rabbit when I was a kid, and it was a gift from her great-grandfather, Robert. She looked very interested in that. And I think someday she will love learning that he was a scientist, and that Floyd was in World War II and a farmer, and Thomas was a policeman, and Harry was a minister who married her parents.

As for who taught Rory things, she's just been stuck with her parents. And today is our last sonogram! I'll be honest, part of me wants more confirmation that there is only one baby. I'm still not quite convinced.

No comments: