Saturday, February 1, 2014

Rory's Spa Days

Rory's chore chart is going like gangbusters. It's nice to have something for her to focus her energy on at the end of the day when I am exhausted. It's also very helpful, and once things calm down around here (May) we'll probably expand her repertoire a bit.

This week she got all of her magnets, which means special privilege. She was down two (respect gets her every time), but she earned them back by helping Daddy build a new TV stand. Originally, it was going to be one magnet for the TV stand and one for helping with laundry, but the stand ended up being an all day project, during which she was incredibly cheerful, helpful, and also organized some of her toys. So she got them both.

On finishing her final chore for the week, she asked what her special privilege was, and I hadn't thought about it (hot contraction shower!), so asked her what she wanted it to be, and she said, "SPA DAY!"

Now, a spa day at our house may be the most ingenious thing I ever thought up. I bought a packet of $2 gel moisturizing mask at Target. First, we wash her hair in the bath tub (with the hand held shower, like a salon), and then put conditioner in it, and wrap it up in a towel. She puts her bathrobe on and gets her gel mask (which has about 10 applications in it). Then she lays on the couch in the dark, with candles and spa music. I looked for a cool eye pack, but I guess I don't have one. And she doesn't know what's missing. I put lotion on her feet (which need it anyway in this dry coldness). We let her relax, and then when her bath is ready, she gets to take a candlelit bath with lavender bath salts (that Ryan gave me for Christmas unknown years ago). By the end of it, she is so chill and sleepy bed time is a breeze.

I know she is dying to go to the park, and when it warms up she'll get lots of park time (and pool time and zoo time and library time), but until then, this is a fantastic and really easy privilege.

No comments: