Saturday, January 2, 2016

2015 Year in Review

Let's do it.

January
Really unremarkable and lovely. I continued running. Rory went to Alpha and loved it. Andrew went to story time at the library. Ryan went to work. We celebrated Aurora's 5th birthday at home with 5 of her friends.






February
Ryan's brother and sister-in-law came to visit for his birthday. Ryan and I went to the Midnight Underground Circus, and I was pissed about what a huge letdown it was.


March
We went to see Elvis Costello. Andrew turned one. I got really into my Class Pass membership. And really serious about my final paper for my MA.



April
The kids and I went to Rhode Island to celebrate Carter's bar mitzvah. Mom treated us to a weekend at the Great Wolf Lodge. Diana took Shannon and I to a girl's weekend in Hannibal, MO. 



May
Ryan and I celebrated our 9th anniversary. I graduated with my MA in Mass Comm.




June
Rory went to camp in MN and I totally survived. I got a job with The First 48.



July
I slowly acclimated to my job and new schedule. We celebrated the 4th of July with the Harlans and Ryan's parents. My friend Melissa married her fella. My nephew, Quentin, visited us for a week. 





August
My sweet friend, Tory, cooked me dinner for my birthday. I turned 33 with a Foo Fighter's concert, Miranda flying in from CO and Kevin flying in from WA, a trip to the drag club, and a fluffy ball gown. Like I do. I also chopped my hair. Aurora started kindergarten at Global Montessori. 





September
This is kind of just a highlight reel, but my life kind of exploded in September. I won't get into details, but Ryan and I faced the hardest moment to date of our marriage. It's much worse for him, and we're still doing the work to make sure we are really solid going forward. As a big a test as this was, there were a lot of reasons it was both inevitable and necessary. But, suffice to say the last half of 2015 was freaking rough. 

Also, I co-hosted a bachelorette weekend for my friend Jessica. Andrew got his first haircut and started baby school 3 days a week. And we fired our horrible nanny and started using a service, which has been wonderful, we almost always get the same fabulous person. Randall and Shannon had their son, Leo James, on the date I predicted. Just saying. I gave up my ClassPass membership, I was canceling on more classes than I attended because my schedule was so nuts. I almost immediately start gaining weight.







October
Melissa and I attended the annual noir film festival. I started therapy to deal with the fallout from September and the increasing violence at work. Rory and I went to The Three Musketeers ballet. Ryan and I watched the Dem debate at a Bernie hosted watch party. I flew to New England to spend a weekend with my mom and went to the symphony.  Jessica got married. I pretty much work and come home and quilt, I'm so emotionally depleted from my job and marital stress. My dad calls it my art therapy. Relationship with kids begins to feel strained. 








November
Jeff (coworker) and I continued our team building, even though I grew increasingly unhappy with my work. Ryan and I went to the opera. The four of us flew to New England for Thanksgiving. I finished my first quilt, and gave it to my grandmother. I returned from New England to the most horrific murder case I've ever been adjacent to. Even though the show wasn't following the case (involving a 7 year old) the detectives (understandably) talked about nothing else. My therapist used the phrase "2nd Degree Trauma" to describe my emotional reaction, which involved crying on and off for weeks. I turned in my notice, and started picking up freelance writing. Christie and I went to see Ben Folds. I continued to quilt and be generally closed off, just trying to get through the last few weeks of work.








December
I finished my second quilt, a Christmas one for Christie, and started piecing one for Tory. My last day of work was the same as the kids last day of school. My first piece of freelance writing was published. Rory had her first piano recital. Aurora and I went to The Nutcracker. We took a limo light tour with my in-laws. 

My first day back as a stay at home mom was really rough, hard to get back into the rhythms, but I think things have smoothed out pretty well. We had a lovely and relaxed Christmas and made last minute NYE plans. Our insanely expensive meal at the American was a huge let down (the theme of the 7 courses seemed to be "gelatinous"), but we caught up with friends after and enjoyed ourselves. 





This year Andrew has gone from baby to toddler, learning to walk and speak and sign words. He's got a temper like I've never seen. He's easily entertained, and plays by himself very well. He always finds something to do. His teacher says he walks around the classroom daydreaming. I call him The Professor, he walks around with his hands clasped behind his back. He's very interested in books. He adores his daddy and squeals as soon as he hears the garage open at 5:30. I've seen improvement in his behavior in the three weeks I've been home, and we're rebuilding our bond after my months of isolation and emotional exhaustion. 

Aurora started a new school and French and piano lessons, in addition to gymnastics and ballet. She's very goal oriented, intending to get to level 2 in gymnastics and dance in The Nutcracker. I think she's been the most effected by the tumultuous few months, but I think once she's back in school and on a regular schedule she'll even out. She's turned into a total fan girl this year, switching from Frozen to Star Wars and Star Trek. She's an excellent reader, and incredibly kind and empathetic. 

I'll write more tomorrow (technically today?) about plans for 2016 and recovering from the emotional upheaval of 2015. Of course, I have a strategy.



No comments: