Rather, I have.
I had to explain to my professor why I was getting up to pee every ten damn minutes in her three hour class.
Turns out, she loves her some babies. I got more of a response and more personality from her for the rest of the class then I did during the entire spring semester. She was so excited she had brought animal crackers to class, since they're pretty good about staying down when nauseous. She also implied that if I'm having morning sickness this early (first vomiting! Yesterday morning, took vitamins two hours after breakfast. The day after we find out we're pregnant. Going to try to take vitamins later in the day, in closer proximity to food. Anyway...) I may be having twins. I'm completely unprepared to mentally deal with that, and choosing to ignore it until a doctor makes such a statement.
But she did say something that I thought was very encouraging. Most people, in my experience, who have children and are counseling those about to embark on a quest to produce children, say the same thing. "Wait as long as you can, they change everything." It's never "I love my kids, you guys are going to have so much fun."
Until now. This professor said, "Kids are worth it. All of it, they are so worth it."
Now, this could be vomit inducing. But you don't know this: her daughter has been fighting a brain tumor for a long time. This isn't a woman who misses girls' night and taking off to Mexico for a long weekend, so she thinks kids change everything. She doesn't feel like her kids stole her youth and she could have been 20 forever (which is the impression I get from most of the people who say that). This is a woman who has been through some kind of hell with her kids, and still has nothing but positive things to say. I found that really encouraging.
First doctors appointment May 26th! Let's hope Squiggle sticks... Nervous...
1 comment:
I wouldn't worry about the twins comment. Sounds like a pretty unscientific theory. But if the doctor does tell you you're having twins, I know that 9 months from now (probably more like 5 days later), you and Ryan will be mentally prepared!
As for the people who say "Wait as long as you can to have kids," I think the whole point is to just be ready isn't it? I obviously don't have kids, but from my experiences with others, it seems like if you're ready, you're ready. You might wish you had a little more "freedom" every now and again, but raising children will be infinitely more rewarding. Because anything worthwhile is going to require sacrifice. Our culture just hammers it over our heads that we shouldn't have to accept that anymore. (INHO :-)
Post a Comment