Monday, May 11, 2009

Success!

We found out yesterday morning that we are pregnant! Really a great, if somewhat surreal, way to start a Mother's Day! 

I think the thing that is surprising me most is that I'm not as nervous about it as I was just a few days ago. I was sure I'd want to do a lot of extra hormone testing to test my levels and ensure I don't have a progesterone deficiency, because of my last miscarriage. But I have been so freaking nauseous and exhausted this time, significantly more than last time, that I'm convinced "Squiggle" (our nickname for her) is sticking pretty good. 

Friday night we had a fantastic dinner at a local steakhouse with 3 other couples for my mother-in-law's 60th birthday. Amazing food, but I didn't want any of it. The next night, at a fantastic little bistro, was worse, and I was getting up every 5 minutes to pee. If that didn't make me suspicious enough, my train of truly rational thinking later that night sure let Ryan know. 

Since we had guests, the acquiring of a pregnancy test needed to be a covert operation. I woke up at 7 am to pee anyway, so I snuck out to CVS. Peed on a stick as soon as I got home, and it barely turned positive before I ran upstairs and jumped on Ryan. 

We told his family--mom, dad, brother, sis-in-law, at mother's day brunch at the casino. We weren't planning on telling them so soon, but 1) we aren't worried about them telling everyone and 2) all of us probably aren't going to be together again until Christmas. 

Preliminary reports indicate a late January baby! I'm scheduling my first doctor's appointment today!

No comments: