Sunday, November 1, 2009

100th Post--Get excited.

Yesterday I painted the dresser and hutch, moved it up to the nursery (all by myself, not easy--heavy and there are stairs). When I got the hutch on top of the dresser, it scratched the not-quite dry enough paint, so I had to go get the paint and do some touch ups. Then I went downstairs and watched TV in the basement.

And Pirate Maggie Black Paws (her new Halloween name) struck.

When Ryan got home from helping his friend reroof his house (and, as it turns out replace an entire wall thanks to a leak in the roof), he had tasty, tasty food with him. He dropped it off with me in the basement and went to take a shower. I said "Don't forget to look at the dresser!"

Twenty minutes later I go upstairs, Ryan is eating and on the phone, and I wander into the nursery to look at my handiwork. Then I hear, "You did a great job, baby!" And I say thanks. And he says "Did you see the paw prints?" And I look at the dresser and kind of see little black paw shaped imprints in the paint and say something about dammit and touching it up again. And Ryan says, "No, on the floor."

And I say, "WHAT!"

And I look down.

Sure enough, perfect tiny black cat prints are walking from the dresser. On my new, beautiful bamboo floors.

"OHMYGOD!"

Ryan appears next to me. "Yeah, I saw those and saved them for you because I thought-" And he looks at me and I am in tears. "I ruined the floors! I left the door open and I ruined the floors! Stupid, stupid Maggie."

Now, you have to understand. I am already concerned about the value of our house, because chances are we're selling and moving sooner than later. And I put a TON of work into that room. And I am almost 7 months pregnant. So back off.

Ryan is trying to comfort me and promise that it can be fixed, but first he realizes what I said. "Wait... You can tell which cat did it by the paw-prints?" And I, while sobbing, say, "Yes, Maggie has ridiculously tiny feet for her size. She's like the Pavoratti of cats."

So now he is trying not to laugh while he explains that they are easily cleaned off, and proves it by essentially wiping them up with a towel in 10 seconds. He thought I would think they were cute, so he'd saved them for me to see. And they did get significantly cuter after I knew they could be removed.

And, sure enough, Maggie had black paint on her paws. I saw her in the living room and said, "Let me look at your paws, Goo!" and she took off running, which was an immediate sign of guilt, anyway.

Pictures of the hutch and the room organized with photos are coming!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Now THAT is a cute story. With a very happy ending. And quite a beautiful nursery as a result to. Oh the Pavoratti of cats, she's got too much vision for her species.

Kate Walz said...

She's got too much something, that's for sure. Fuzzy little terror.