Thursday, March 11, 2010

So, for a real update, and not just cutesy pictures.

Rory has essentially kicked the nipple shield!! Such a little genius. We still use it when we start feedings, because I have a crazy amount of milk and a fast let down. The nipple shield regulates it so she doesn't drown in food. But I usually take it off after a little while and she eats just fine without it, and falls asleep.

She is trying to stand all the time. She loves to stand on laps, and push off things with her legs (and feedings are extra fun when she tries to launch herself across the couch sideways). She's doing lots of following with her eyes--last night she watched Ryan walk around the room after he got home (and he wasn't even wearing a bright shirt). And she's uber smiley, although Ryan hasn't figured out his own trick to making her smile, I can almost always do it. I don't even have to use my boobs.

She loves her time with Daddy, though. When he gets home he carries her around in the sling so I can remember what it's like to use my arms for recreational purposes. She looks around and coos at him until she gets tired, and then he covers her up and she's out almost instantly. Last night I fed her till she passed out, put her down in bed, and BAM! Eyes popped open. So I fed her some more, and she fell asleep. I laid her down, ran downstairs to get a drink, and by the time I got upstairs she was all: blink blink "coooo" blink blink.

So, Ryan slinged her, and she was asleep in no time, head and hands on his chest. He bent over and deposited her on the bed, and she stayed in the same position--fingers spread, hands flat. And she didn't wake up till 6 am. For which I am grateful. And, some people wouldn't think so, but I think carrying a tiny baby around adds that much more to Ryan's masculinity. Maybe it's the comparison of the big guy with the teeny little girl, but I just love it.

Our first play group last week was a blast. I learned that babies are not unlike dogs. If you have a squeak toy or a treat in a group of dogs, they all get perky and cute and try to get the treat. If you take out your boobs around a bunch of babies, they know EXACTLY what is going on, and give you their best "adopt me" face.

I also learned that Rory must see everything going on all the time in new places. She was hungry, but she nursed for a whole ten seconds then was fussing to be put down. I laid her on a blanket on the floor, and she stared at everyone for the remainder of the group, happy as a baby clam.

Our attempts to get to the work out class haven't gone very well. Mornings are a little weird without a set schedule, and it involves crossing town during rush hour. Going to make another go of it next week, see if we make it. I've really enjoyed being a part of this mom's group, and I like all the options of things to do. But, the reality is that sometimes it just doesn't work for us to join everyone at the park because she's going to wake up hungry any second when we need to leave. Turns out timing is everything these days.

No comments: