I am fortunate enough to have a virtual stack of books to my right just waiting my consumption.
I'm feeling benevolent, so I will share.
Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors. I love, love, love short stories. They are perfect for a quick read while out and often fit well in my purse. I bought this in Exeter at my favorite little bookstore downtown. If you aren't familiar with Gaiman, he did the graphic novel of the movie "Stardust" and he leans towards the fantastical.
Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl was given to me by my dad (my other favorite book source in NH). We were discussing Donna Tratt (Tartt?)'s A Brief History (which I read and loved) and Tana French's The Likeness (which kind of rips off Tratt's book). Something about teacher's who involve themselves with secluded and specific moralities (not really present in The Likeness) reminded Dad of this book, and it ended up in my suitcase.
The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman is sitting here because I haven't put it away yet. I also purchased this in NH, but I'm waiting for the absotively perfect moment to start it. It's about the death of the newspaper and a ragtag bunch of reporters trying to survive in this cuspy time. I'm really looking forward to it, so I have to be able to commit.
Mark Smith is one of my dad's favorite authors. Dad is big into noir, and he believes this is the perfect noir detective story. We have discussed this book during every recent visit I can remember. On this past trip, we cast the movie (James Gandolfini will try to be Irish). I have not yet read The Death of the Detective, but it is a priority. It has been for a few years now. I keep almost getting into it and jumping back out. It's next on my list after I finish...
The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt is my current read and I could not be happier with it. I'm trying to savor it because I truly don't want it to end. I have a habit of choosing books by their covers (if I have no other information to go off of). I loved the sapphire blue cover and the jeweled dragonfly person. I like books that look kind of magical and full of other worldliness, and this one certainly does. It's about a family in England and the end of the Victorian era. The characters, and there are many, are interesting and faceted and very believable. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, although rather slowly because of my current situation of being a parent.
What's in your stack?
No comments:
Post a Comment