Monday, January 17, 2011

Up here on my soap box!

Seriously, having had a home birth has ruined birth by other people for me. Everybody does it wrong!

Just kidding, mostly.

Things I recommend researching. Even if you're not comfy with the whole home birth awesomeness.

1. Vernix. Don't scrub your newborn! First of all, it separates mom and baby if you're in the hospital. Second of all, it's good for them! If beauty companies could recreate and market this stuff, they would. It is amazing.  Look it up. Rory got a little massage and rubbed it all in. To be fair, her water birth was a little bit of a bath which removed some goo. But, if you're worried about your baby being gooey and gross when you get her, and not picture perfect, you're in for a bit of a shock. Parenthood is going to get nastier. Yes, towel the wee thing off so she's not slippery, but don't scrub her delicate skin of that amazing protectant.

2. Cords. Your baby is not going to drain of blood if you wait to cut the cord. The pulsing is not all of his blood pumping back into you. Cutting the cord immediately actually deprives the infant of blood stored in the placenta and can cause anemia. Check it out. 

3. Baby led breast feeding. If you put a newborn on her mommy's chest, she will baby inchworm her way to that boob. The sooner you do it, the better. Even then problems crop up--we did it, and breast fed fine. For two days. And then the late coming milk created a new problem. It's so natural. YouTube breast crawl to see the miracle in action.

There are lot of studies on this page, but here are the highlights:

Regarding induction:
In normal birth, labor begins on its own. Induction of labor increases the risk of a cesarean, especially for first-time mothers and their babies.


Maximizing the woman's freedom to move in labor and assume non-supine birth positions, avoiding routine interventions, allowing the woman's choice of continuous labor support, and avoiding unnecessary separation of mother and baby after delivery affect birth outcomes.

Regarding epidurals:

Epidural use increases the risk of instrumental (forceps or vacuum) birth in first-time mothers.

In normal birth, complex hormonal shifts help labor progress and facilitate birth. The laboring woman produces natural endorphins that help her manage the pain of labor. Her ability to move freely and assume a variety of positions while pushing work in concert with these hormonal changes. Epidural analgesia numbs the sensations of birth, and the production of natural endorphins ceases as a result of the disruption of the hormonal feedback system. When the epidural is discontinued, the woman's pain returns but her natural endorphins may remain diminished and, therefore, her pain may be greater than if the epidural had not been given.


Regarding sleep (which I found interesting, but I had NO problem sleeping before labor. And in between pushes). It makes sense regarding energy, just like not allowing someone to eat during the most strenuous activity of their life is a little ridiculous.


Inadequate sleep may be a result of anxiety or increased stress hormones, both of which have been shown to correlate with poor obstetric outcomes. Women who lack rest late in pregnancy may also be left without the reserves of energy they need to meet the physical challenges of labor.

Regarding vernix:
The authors point out that the innate immune proteins found in vernix and amniotic fluid are similar to those found in breast milk.


Routine artificial rupture of membranes increases the likelihood of intrauterine infection because it eliminates the physical barrier (the amniotic sac) between the baby and the mother's vaginal flora.


A baby bathed in amniotic fluid benefits from antimicrobial proteins that are found in the fluid and in vernix caseosa.


The results of this study also call into question the routine use of some newborn procedures. Early bathing of the baby removes vernix, which contains antimicrobial proteins that are active against group B. streptococcus and E. coli. Delaying the bath and keeping the newborn together with his or her mother until breastfeeding is established may prevent some cases of devastating infections caused by these bacteria. The fact that preterm babies tend to have more vernix than babies born at or after 40 weeks might mean that healthy, stable preterm babies derive even greater benefit from staying with their mothers during the immediate newborn period.


And you may wonder why homebirthers are so much more adamant about these things. Well, I for one am thoroughly convinced I'm right, and I have never heard of someone being unhappy with a home birth. I have heard many a horror story about hospital births. People said "A home birth! You're so brave! What if something goes wrong?" Well, I think you're brave to be in a hospital and expose your baby to untold germs while in a foreign, high stress setting with a bunch of slice happy obstetricians. And the reality is that there is no such thing as control over these things. The thing that cinches my decision to have a home birth? My family physician (who was my back up doctor if my home birth needed to head to the hospital) told me an infant died the previous week. At the hospital. She was trying to talk me out of a home birth.

I've done a lot of research, I talked to a lot of people. I didn't just come up with these opinions.  I can't find anything that says cutting the cord has any medical benefits that don't have to do with a doctor's schedule or outdated medical information. I can't find any benefit to an epidural to a normal birth, except that it increases risk along with the mother's comfort.

No, I'm not an expert, but I am diligent and I did my homework and, sadly, I don't know anyone who went into a hospital and came out completely ecstatic with their birthing experience. I know women who had hospital births with and without epidurals or csections and then had a home birth and it change their life and they are sad for their other births because they were not at home. I know women who felt raped because of a c-section that happened because they were uneducated when they went in.


And I know that c-sections can save lives. But the c-section rate in America is something like 3 times the rate of other countries. Because we schedule our babies rather than think of what is best for them. Because we do unnecessary interventions that raise risk levels and then 'save' them. Because we don't trust our bodies directions to move and walk and try a position that creates more room for that shoulder to come out.


And I recognize that not everybody is comfortable with birthing at home. I had a an oxygen tank, an IV, was given stitches, my daughter had a vitamin K shot. At home. I did not lack for medical attention. My midwife said if I looked at her wrong we were going to the hospital because I was a new mom. 


The thing that pisses me off is nobody does RESEARCH. I wish my friends had been there for my birth. If I have another I'm seriously considering inviting you all to it. Just to see the difference. If someone actively researches all birth options and talks to people and attends classes and says "yes, I think a hospital birth with an epidural is best for me" more power to you. I still disagree, but at least you're informed, and that's your prerogative.


My advice to anybody who is pregnant--go buy a book (and for God's sake, not What to Expect, which is designed to make you pliant for your doctor without actually informing you of anything). Go buy a book that goes through every intervention and procedure and drug you might be given. Research what it does, why you'd do it, the pros and cons. Make a birth plan that has what you want and don't want on it. Make a decision about bathing, cords, fetal monitoring, pitocin, epidurals, pain management options (seriously consider hot water. It did more for me than drugs did), episiotomy. Be active and aware in your birth! It is your responsibility, not your doctors. Your labor team may be a irritated to receive a plan, but bring it with cookies. Fax it ahead of time. Give your doc a copy. And don't stay with a doctor who mocks or rejects it. It's too important. 


In hind sight, I wondered what gave me the confidence to do a home birth, to go against the norm. It's because I was absolutely convinced that it was the best way for me and for Rory. Maybe I was lucky, but everybody should have that degree of sureness about their birth plan. 


The end. 







No comments: