Wednesday, February 23, 2011

As you can see, I redesigned things. I hope you are pleased.

I found a company that will turn blogs into books. On a scale of 1 to "death by cheesiness," how cheesy would it be to make a book of my blog chronicling my pregnancy and Rory's first year? It would include all the pictures and such. I'd hate to lose all the stories and memories I wrote.

I made a polenta casserole tonight by doctoring a recipe from The Kind Diet cookbook. Instead of lining the pan with seitan I used TVP (texturized vegetable protein) mixed with some spices I found in a little packet on my shelf. Then I put a layer of corn with some asparagus. Then I topped with polenta mashed with a potato (instead of cauliflower--didn't have any), soy milk, shoyu (unpasteurized soy sauce--has live cultures like yogurt), brown rice vinegar, and parsley (lots of it--great source of calcium). Then I baked it.

On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 6.5. Ryan added garlic and liked it a lot more (he uses garlic like some people use ketchup. Works for me). If we'd had any of the miso gravy left, I think that would have made it freaking awesome.

2nd therapy session tomorrow. I think the biggest help is having a designated space in my life to worry and dwell on things. Means I don't have to do it  the rest of the time.  Also, I'm continuing to drop weight with our new veg lifestyle.

Gracie had to go to the vet today for vaccines. I don't think she'll be going back to that place. If my mom ran it, half the staff would have been fired, and the other half would be scrubbing baseboards and nasty grouting. The place was dirty. They went ahead and let me manage my 75 lb dog and my freaked out kid. The exam room (maybe 6 ft by 6 ft) didn't have any doors and half the staff used it as a hallway. And thanks to the lack of doors, there was no opportunity to get a quiet moment to calm the dog down. They kept traipsing through and re-winding her up.

When I explained my mom was a vet so Gracie hadn't been in an actually clinic in a while, the vet used all the fancy vet language she could to explain things to me. Gracie has a lump next to her tail, most likely a cyst (it's right where she got stung by a bee a few months ago and it just never went down). I didn't bother pointing out that I'm not a vet, so whatever cellular thing she saw in the microscope that made her think it was a cyst and not a tumor was beyond me. And even after that she still thinks it could be a tumor. I think it's similar to the splinter that got left in Ryan's hand so long it swelled up years later and needed surgery. Except it's a bee stinger. But what do I know.

No comments: