Her new thing is not looking at you. Our friend John came over, and Rory was pretty unsure of him. But she wanted him to know that she didn't like him in the house. So she stared and stared at him until he looked at her, and then she VERY deliberately turned her head the complete opposite direction and wouldn't look at him.
She did it to me last night when I was getting ready to go out with a friend, and I think she was annoyed I was leaving. She glared at me while I put my boots on, and, when she was sure I was looking, she looked the opposite way (so, I did the same thing, and it turned into a silly game and she got over it).
She also likes to do things her way, and by 'her way' I mean the way she is comfortable doing things. The kid can walk. She walks back and forth between Ryan and I almost every night. She walked today at gym class, just because she was excited and forgot herself for half a second. But then she stepped off the mat, and the depth thing kind of tricked her, so she fell (she was fine). After that she crawled, and would only crawl, unless she held onto something. This is how it was with pushing things around the house. After she fell twice, she stopped doing it at all.
I understand her thinking. She has a system that works, and the new doesn't seem to be as good. And, as a baby, the idea of practice isn't really a concept for her yet. And, Ryan and I can be the same way about things (although, between the two of us we always pick different things to be that way about). Yes, she could have been walking and crawling a lot sooner than she was. But she didn't feel ready, and she's always bee very cautious. And she gets the whole rest of her life to walk. I think a lot of conversations as she gets older will be about the benefit of working at something and trying again.
It's kind of tough to recognize the things that have held you back in your kid. Fortunately this one is a minor one, and it's something I can help her tackle if she doesn't outgrow it. And her cautious thing has probably saved us a few ER trips already.
| Baby leopard |
No comments:
Post a Comment