Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Heading to NE

Well, tomorrow Rory and I fly to NH for a week.

Rory is sick. Coughing, dripping face, fussy sick.

But, today she is in a better mood, and seems to have more energy. Maybe she's starting to get over it.

Tomorrow will be my first time flying with her since July. A baby changes a LOT from 6 to 14 months. Last time she slept the whole flight. This time I don't expect to be so lucky.

I am trying to go as light as one can with a baby. One suitcase, pack and play, carseat. Carrying on diaper bag and baby (and Moby wrap). No laptop. To combat possible baby boredom I am packing books and toys, also snacks and sippy cups, lollipops (for the cough and to help soothe the ears during flight), and have loaded my phone with baby friendly apps.  Usually, if she's in the moby wrap, she is pretty calm, hopefully that helps. The layovers will be fun because there is so much room for her to walk around, and she will be allover the place.

Once we get there, everything will be fine. I just need to survive the flights.

I'm bringing some vegan stuff with me. Since going vegan, my dad and stepmom have been really interested in it, and Dad wants to try some stuff. I'm making English muffins, marinated tofu (what we use as "eggs" in breakfast sandwiches) and Gimme Lean vegan 'sausage' (it's SOOO good).  I'm also making seitan, and I'll probably use it to make the teryiaki seitan we love so much.

Speaking of which, Ryan made chili using TVP instead of turkey. It is really yummy, although the TVP doesn't make clumps like turkey does. I think next time we might try the Gimme Lean hamburger replacement instead. Last night I made the spinach lasagna out of my new cookbook, The Veganomicon. You make 'ricotta' out of cashews and tofu, and 'parmesan' out of almonds, sesame seeds, and lemon peel. It was good, but as much as I love spinach in sandwiches and salads, I HATE cooked spinach, and couldn't even bring myself to like it in this. Ryan thought it was pretty great though, especially for our first attempt at vegan lasagna.

And, fun new thing. When she's hungry she goes to her high chair and says "up!"

So cute.

No comments: