Could this mean that I'll post more??
No telling.
My funny little human is at it again. This time, she insisted that she was a boy. Of course, this merits discussion, so I asked her why.
"Because I'm a boy."
"No, you're a girl. Why do you think you're a boy?"
"Because I'm not a girl!"
It went like this until we had an anatomy lesson.
Last night, while I was out at a meeting, she said to Ryan, "Daddy, you don't have a bagima." And he agreed. Although I don't know that his friends would (BAM!).
Not a conversation I thought we'd be having at 2 and a half, but I'm pleased for a number of reasons.
Rory didn't have a reason she was a boy - she can't tell you a social difference. It's not cause she had pants on or likes trains or doesn't want to wear hair bows (she loves hairbows and twirly dresses). I think it had more to do with saying the opposite of what I said (a truly adorable trait. Really), which was, "Are you my best girl?"
I dodged the easy (and inaccurate) way out - you're a girl because you wear dresses, play with dolls, whatever. It's false and contributes to closed minded little kids (from the things I've read, anyway). I did give Ryan a break and didn't explain male equipment, just the absence of female anatomy. I know, I know, but I felt a shanghai'd and she's only two.
So, parents, what are the next discussions heading my way?
No comments:
Post a Comment