Saturday, June 22, 2013

Top 10 books

I was inspired by Sara Kate. I thought, "Whoa, what are my top 10 books?"

Usually, I do things in Top 5s, but this time,  I will make an exception. Five isn't really enough. So, these are books I go back to again and again for whatever reason.

10.  Jonathan Strange & M. Norrell by Susanna Clark.
I actually haven't finished this book about magicians battling for power in an alternative historical England. It's Dickensian in the rich backstories and descriptions of even the minor characters. I'm terrified of finishing it, because then it will be over. There is a companion book, also lovely. There is something so charming about her writing style. It's last because I haven't finished it, but I imagine it will change positions when I finish.

9. The Memory Room by Mary Rakow
I don't remember when I first read this book, or how even found it (it's almost impossible to stumble on in a bookstore, I've looked). Gorgeous, poetic book about a capable musician with horrible trauma in her past. It tells the story of her therapy and healing through the poems of Paul Celan (an introduction I am grateful for) and the Psalms. This story would be almost impossible to tolerate if not for the lyrical, gentle writing.

8. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A book for book lovers, this gothic mystery pays homage to Jane Eyre. A mansion that burned down, feral twins, a topiary garden, and a reclusive author at the end of her life. It could have been cheesy and heavy handed (and to be honest, I have little interest in the biographer's story), instead it is engrossing and bright.

7. Till We Have Face by C.S. Lewis
When I was a practicing Christian, I fell in love with this book. For one thing, I love classic history and mythology, so the retelling of Psyche and Cupid was right up my alley. I love that the heroine questions everything. I love that Orual is a smart, capable leader. I love the examination of different kinds of love. I love the writing style. I actually can't read it if I have a writing project because I mimic the writing style so much.

6. Broken Harbor and the entire Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French
The first novel in the series, In The Woods, left lots of readers cold because it was a little too based in reality. I love, love, loved it. The Likeness was a little too close to The Secret History (coming up), and Faithful Place didn't do it for me. But Broken Harbor, the most recent, was back to perfection. Fantastic mystery and the most interesting, relatable hero since the first one. I hope the series continues so well.

5. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Five students at a preppy Vermont college take a classics course with a charismatic professor.  There they are taught a different morality that does not end well for one of them. Philosophical, scandalous, very fast-paced.  Layered and perfect for revisiting.

4. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
These guys all need to grow up, but reading their rapid fire music discussion and neuroticism makes me laugh.  I have such affection for music nerds. And, High Fidelity is one my favorite Elvis Costello songs.

3.  The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
Time traveling, space hopping, and farce. I can't even explain it, I just love it so much. Malachi Constant is one of my favorite characters for his long, strange journey.

2. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Recommended to me when I was 18, I can't count how many times I've read this book. Along with mythology, I love Arthurian legend. This retelling (for Morgaine's point of view) puts realism into the magic and questions what makes a person 'evil' in the eyes of history and legend.

1. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
My. Favorite. Danielewski is the son of a film maker, and a goal of this book was to create layout and movement of the pages that would evoke emotion the way a a movie does. The layout is bananas and so much fun. The layout illustrates that the book is bigger on the inside than the outside, much like the house the Navidsons move into that starts to expand. The man piecing the story together (left to him on scraps of paper by a blind man) is slowly losing his mind.  Traditionally stocked in the "horror" section, I think it's the best love story I've ever read.

If you ever lack reading material, I recommend those. And I always need a new book, so leave yours below, please (or link to your list).












1 comment:

sara said...

Yay! I am so happy to have inspired you!