My first midwife appointment was today. Sarah, who was an apprentice at Rory's birth, is a lovely woman. She reminds me a bit of a lower energy version of a friend of mine who passed away, Iris. Both of them just seem to radiate wisdom and understanding. I showed Rory pictures of Sarah at her birth, and she drew a few pictures for her (before disappearing outside for scooter friend time).
Such different experiences. I love my doctor. I love my midwife. They provide such different things.
My doc appointment:
Scheduled for 1 pm, I'm processed and in the room at 1:15, and don't see the doc until a little after 1:30. I was fifteen minutes early.
My midwife appointment:
Sarah rings my doorbell at exactly 2:30 - our scheduled appointment time. She is carrying bags of stuff. She lets Gracie get reacquainted (they've met before) before settling on my couch with some iced tea.
Doc:
Dr. Fisher and I are happy to see each other, and very focused. We update my history (nothing to update). I've peed in things, had my blood pressure taken. We discuss my (wonky) insurance situation and she asks if we're planning a home birth again. I'm unsure at this point (Sarah is a CPM, not a CNM, which seems like a huge difference).
Midwife:
We update my history, recall details of Rory's birth for her records (she didn't keep my records, they are with the CNM). She explains the only difference between her and my CNM is that Suzanne could prescribe pain medication, and she can't. She can, legally too, give emergency medication (as of 2008, thanks Missouri). The IV I had to prevent dehydration, the oxygen tank, the stitches I had - she carries and does all of it.
Doc:
Does not do a pelvic (I was unsure, so Ryan and Rory are in the waiting room), and brings them into the room to listen to the heartbeat. We listen for a little while. She doesn't measure anything. She tells me everything looks great, it's going to be fun seeing me so often again, and she'll see me in a month. She hands me a stack of papers. They are:
- A prenatal community education pamphlet of birth classes the hospital provides.
- A notice from Menorah Medical Center to choose a physician or pediatrician from the attached list to "care for you baby." Grammar theirs.
- Family Birthing Center at Menorah Expectant Parent Guide. What to bring to the hospital, information about car seats, what to expect when you arrive at the hospital, and medications the baby will get in the first hour after birth, as well as procedures that will be performed on your baby. Like a Hep B vaccine. The final page is a pre-admission form
Midwife:
Uses a strip to test my urine. Other than being a little dehydrated, everything looks great. My blood pressure is perfect. We summon Ryan in to hear the heart beat (it's a 150 bpm). She uses aloe on my stomach instead of KY. She leaves me with 4 gallon bags full of herbs - nettle, raspberry leaf, oat straw, and alfalfa, along with instructions to make a pregnancy infusion full of minerals to drink every day. This will help tone my uterus, help liver processes, and once I'm breastfeeding, keep my milk production high (not that that will be an issue). The other pamphlets she leaves are:
- Unlocking the Pelvic Floor - a pamphlet of exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor, instead of Kegles.
- A list of pediatricians, family practitioners, chiropractors, pelvic floor specialists, rolfing, massage, lactation consultants, OBs, hospital midwives, yoga, nutrition specialists, childbirth education classes, tongue tie specialists, fertility treatment centers, and, my favorite, henna artists that she knows and recommends.
- A list of books and DVDs in her personal library available for borrowing. Books about birth, placentas, hypno birthing, teen pregnancy, sign language, belly mapping, vaccines, tui na massage, and VBACs. The DVDs are similar.
- A first trimester run down of symptoms and remedies - what prenatal screening looks for, things to keep an eye out for (blurry vision, signs of anemia, etc). She recommends decaffeinated green tea with valerian root for trouble sleeping, offers several paragraphs on heart burn and morning sickness and constipation. For itchy skin she recommends adding a few things to your diet and some natural things to rub on your skin. She explains what each urine test will test for, how to deal with leg cramps, food to avoid, and more. It's four pages, front and back.
- A page of protein sources on one side, with recommended supplements on the other.
- An informed disclosure and consent form, including all pricing, to be returned on the next appointment.
Her nurse comes in and takes my blood, we make our next appointment at the front desk.
Midwife:
Chats about everything from tea to exercise, makes our next appointment. Gives me a hug as she leaves, telling me how great I look and how happy she is for me.
It's just very different. I made my infusion tonight. After I do my workout I'm going to try it. I added mint leaves to help with the flavor (we grow an absurd amount of mint).
2 comments:
I always love hearing about the doc/midwife differences, good and bad. I hope you do this again throughout this pregnancy
It's the difference between business model care and caring care. Very interesting.
Post a Comment