Friday, January 3, 2014

2013 in review

I forgot my annual rundown of the previous year!

January:
Rory started dance class and turned 3 (with a Super Why party). We started having meetings with different schools to pick a part-time preschool for her. I was on the Party Arty committee, and we had a blast at the Gellman Collection themed party.

February:
Rory and I flew to Florida with my Aunt Jane for my Memaire's 80th birthday celebration. Ryan turned 36, and I surprised him by having his buddies show up and jump out. I started writing commercials for an insurance group (which reminds me, I need to get the link to those for my LinkedIn). I also started doing roller derby and singing lessons.

March:
We redid some things at the rental house (namely the bathroom) We spent Easter in Columbia with Ryan's family.

April:
I picked up some more freelance work for a real estate company redoing their website. My mom and I spent a long weekend cause trouble in NYC. My book club was briefly revived.

May:
Ryan's bitcoin project got serious, with long trips to the middle of Kansas to move rigs. We celebrated our 7th anniversary with sushi out. We threw a little birthday party for Ryan's mom at our house, Rory was so excited to give her grandma a birthday cake. Rory had her first dance recital, and all the fun things that go with it (dress rehearsals, picture night, and lots of flowers).

June:
We had a lengthy family trip to New England - three days out, four days there, three days back. I started doing pilates occasionally. I witnessed the director of Rory's school screaming at a kid and immediately pulled her out. My cousin Sarah and her kids came out to visit, which Rory still talks about every time we drive by the Nelson-Atkins museum. I found out I was pregnant right after they left!

July:
We spent the 4th in Colorado avoiding illegal fireworks in Kansas City and enjoying Colorado's fire ban. I went right back to CO to spend a weekend in Denver with my friend Miranda.  I tried my first pole dancing class (holy ow on the inner thighs). My friends the Franklins came to visit from Oklahoma.

August:
I started interviewing for a job I was not sure about, and ultimately decided to take. I went to my first Kansas City Royals game (against the Red Sox). I celebrated my birthday (31) with a nice dinner with friends and a nice dinner with my guy. I slept a lot, and wrapped up my first trimester.

September:
I started the job and Rory started a new (and infinitely better) school. We weighed the pros and cons of a home birth with a CPM instead of a CNM, and decided a CPM was still a better choice for me than a hospital (I get anxious just thinking about it). Rory also started dance classes back up. September had a lot of big changes for her. After much back and forth and unnecessary drama, our tenant finally moved out (with a large outstanding debt).

October:
We passed the halfway point on the pregnancy, and I got used to my new schedule. I also realized that my job really wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I found other ways to use my skill set in the company. We attended Pumpkins on Parade and went to Faulkner's Pumpkin Ranch, Rory was a butterfly. We also found out that baby Puffin is a boy, which was much harder for me than I thought it would be. My cousins moved into our rental house.

November:
Ryan and I took a romantic weekend away at the Elms, complete with massages and cable TV (we're mad, mad I tell you!). Ryan's bitcoin operation moved more local when a friend of his offered to house it. We started discussing our future and education for the kids and started looking around at houses. We stayed in KC for Thanksgiving, hosting it at a restaurant with Ryan's parents and my cousin. We cut down the biggest tree we've ever had. We also picked a name for the new kid: Andrew Louis.

December:
Entered my 3rd trimester and realized my job is not going to improve anytime soon. We did all of our Christmas traditions-the light drive, movie night, cookie decorating, and the Nutcracker (which Rory did very well through). My mom flew in and spent Christmas with us. We spent a couple days at my in-laws to further spoil the kid. Rory had her winter program at school and her holiday performance for dance class. I spent NYE on my couch watching 30 rock and drinking soup. Like a champ.

No comments: