Saturday, August 16, 2014

Birthday perfection!

I haven't blogged in a while, as our year as been a series of unfortunate events. But last night, excluding the birth of my son, I had the best night of my whole year. Jessica knocked it out of the park.

We had a birthday date planned for a while, as she'll be in Montreal next weekend. At noon, I got a series of pictures texts:

 
When I got done squealing (holy fun!), I picked 6:30, because that meant the fun would start sooner.
 
I am a pro member of Rent the Runway, so I get a free rental for my birthday. Since we're having family water park day to celebrate, I used it last night. I put on my super flouncy, black Versace dress (of which I have no decent pictures), a gorgeous Slate + Willow necklace, and hot pink heels. Hair down with tamed curls. I felt SO fabulous.
 

Jessica arrived promptly at 6:30, which is no small feat for her, and got major props. She looked super hot in her black mini dress (a Vegas purchase) and Vince Camuto heels (again, no proper photo).


In the car was this:

A mini bottle of champagne, with cup, and a bottle of water for later! I actually drove around in a MOVING VEHICLE with a glass of champagne. We walked by some cops later, and I was sure they could tell I broke the law. Jessica said we followed the spirit of the law, just not the letter. She also had back up phone chargers in case we needed a charge from all the ridiculous pictures and instagraming and swarming and facebooking we were bound to do. Perfect.

My next card was this:
Aixois or Westport Café? I love Aixois, fabulous French food, but I'd never been to Westport Café, so we went there. We ordered cocktails, hers was something with basil, mine a pink champagne Lillet cocktail (heaven forbid I order from the menu).
We split a goat cheese and beet salad, a bowl of mussels, a ricotta honey spread, and the most freaking amazing black truffle risotto. Somehow we forgot dessert, which has never happened in the history of the two of us, but I don't think either of us missed it.
 
And then my next card:
It's a bit blurry. After dinner drinks at Julep or CaVa? Julep is my favorite whiskey bar, I know everyone there. CaVa is two doors down and a lovely little champagne bar. I went with Julep, because I love them.

Beau alerted us to people clearing out so we could sit at the bar. I had a Brooklyn 77 (small batch whiskey) Manhattan, and the fact that I drink whiskey impressed the hell out of some older gentlemen hanging out. One of them asked who my father is. "Um... Steven Valliere?" "He's gotta be awesome." "Why is that?" "His daughter looks like you and drinks whiskey. Do you drink whiskey with your dad?" "No."

They were very sweet, "We're all married, but thanks for letting us chat you up." Beau made Jessica something "refreshing" and vodka based, we think, that she enjoyed. He made me a something with whiskey and thyme that was fantastic.
 
And then I got my next card!

There's no photo, but my options were Maryoke (karaoke at Hamburger Mary's) or Missie B's Drag Show. Neither of which I've ever been to. I couldn't decide, so I asked Beau to do it for me. He said always go to Missie B's.

When we got there, Beyoncé was performing. She and everyone was spectacular. It was just SO fun. The glitz and spectacle and theatrics are my favorite. Kind of why I love air guitar.

The host of the show was wonderful, I'm pretty sure he was wearing a bracelet I have. They did drag versions of "Mr. Aladdin, sir" as a Robin Williams tribute, and "Let It Go" in a costume Rory would have envied.

I jammed out in my seat to all the songs. The club delivered trays of free shots to the audience, Jessica got ones for me to tip the performers with, and we got a bottle of champagne for our little table.

Our host came over and finished my glass of champagne for me, then grabbed me by the hand and hauled me off for more shots. He loved my pink shoes. I was flying by the end of the night, just giddy and wound up and tipsy.


Then we headed home, I put on my birthday song (I listen to it every year, at the end of whatever way I celebrate), and it was extra appropriate this year. Jess hit fast food for me, I sang my song again, and then I was home, doing Broadway performances for Ryan (because I'm very theatrical when drinking). But I nailed "Show Off." Just saying.

After this crazy year, I can't explain how nice it was too let loose and not worry and be spoiled and have so much fun.

 



No comments: