Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Well, well, well...

I had a great trip to New England. Got in Wednesday night and had dinner with the family and watched a film noir with Dad and Deb. I brought them coffee from the Roasterie and a box of Christopher Elbow chocolates. They enjoyed them both, and Deb is planning on getting them as gifts for people when they visit KC. The use of the word 'when' is a pretty big deal. It was a lot of fun watching them enjoy the chocolates

Thursday I went to my sister's music program and we sang songs and then had lunch together. We watched "Moon," which I had brought up with me (great movie, btw, especially if you're into science fiction that isn't crowded with aliens). Friday Deb and I did some shopping, and there was much purchasing of baby clothes and Christmas presents.

Saturday I drove to Mass, and my mom, her friend Darlene, and I took Grandma out for a birthday dinner. Grandma skipped her pain pills so she could have wine, and wine was had. The restaurant frustrated me at first, because when I made the reservation I thought I made it clear that this was a special night (what with it being my grandma's 80th and having roses delivered). And they made us wait. And then they made us wait some more. And then we got a little pushy and they seated us.

The food was excellent, the conservation a little bizarre after the wine entered the picture, and Grandma found some very tasty food that she could eat, given the recent surgery on her throat. The wine seemed to work well in place of her pain killers, because she moved at 4 times the speed out of the restaurant as she did in. We couldn't keep up with her.

Sunday I picked up my Memaire for my baby shower, and then drove us up to my Grandma's place. The shower was a lot of fun, it seemed to go by really fast, and I wished I'd been able to catch up with everyone a little more. It was awesome seeing everyone, although there seems to be some drama going on that is keeping people from treating each other well. That made me sad, but I can't do anything about it. I couldn't believe all the gifts. The kid is set on penguins, that is for sure. And she is very adorably outfitted for a while.

I drove back to NH Sunday night, just in time for Dad's pasta e fagioli soup. We watched Up and ate left over desserts from the shower. Monday Dad and I went out for breakfast, then we walked around the river in Exeter and visited the library (which has a resale room Dad likes to hunt through). Then we went to the movie theater so I could get gift cards for Cait and Steven (seemed like a good Christmas present idea for them), followed with coffee and chatting at Barnes and Noble. Then we went home and I finished packing and left to catch my plane. Got home early (which made up for arriving in Manchester late, I guess). I was so exhausted, at one point I fell asleep sitting up on the couch.

I wish I could have visited longer, but it's nice to be home and spending mornings with Ryan, walking the dog, cooking, writing thank you notes and addressing Christmas party invites. I caved and started listening to Christmas music, even though I refuse to start on decorations until after Thanksgiving, per our traditions. I only have three more papers and then I'm done with the semester, so I need to quit procrastinating and do them. Going to start tomorrow (not because of procrastination, but because of a lunch date, internship, chiropractor appointment, and dinner with friends that is keeping me busy all day).

My oatmeal is all gone. Time to go walk the dog.

No comments: