Friday, January 15, 2010

Conversations at my house

Last night my husband said to me:

"Who is Ringo?"

...

I'll let this sink in on the many levels it's disturbing.

At first I laughed. We were watching The Daily Show and Ringo was performing with Ben Harper. Excellent. I made a comment about Starr working with amazing musicians on all his album. Ryan goes "Who is Ringo?" I laughed, yeah right. But he was serious.

I was actually speechless for like 5 seconds. "Seriously. You don't know who Ringo Starr is."
"No."
"If you'd said that before the wedding, I don't know if we'd be here right now. Seriously. Ringo Starr."
"Um... no."
"He's the drummer for the Beatles!"
"Why would I know that?"
"Because...you can breathe! And you have ears! And you were a drum playing band nerd! Can you name any Beatles?"
"John? Bill?"
"Oh. My. God. Please pinch me. This isn't happening."

I then explain the Beatles are John, Paul, George, and Ringo. We establish he doesn't know which are dead and which are alive or what any of their post-Beatles careers included. No knowledge of Wings or Traveling Wilburys, although he likes songs by both. We also establish he doesn't particularly care. Then I ask:
"Can you name the members of Nirvana?"
"Dave, Kurt, and..... Peter."
"Don't worry, baby," I say to my belly. "I'll provide your music history education."

The conversation then turns to the Beatles possibly being the biggest influence on modern music, which he disagrees.
"No. Hitler was."
"What?!?!? How is that even possible?"
"He probably killed off the band that would have been better than the Beatles."
And I can't argue with that logic, so I give it to him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is sad. I don't know if I can be friends with Ryan anymore.

Kate Walz said...

He's just not a music history guy. He likes what he likes, and doesn't feel the need to learn much about it. Fortunately, he has other great qualities.