Friday, May 21, 2010

Why I'm off Facebook

1. After a week off it, I realized I didn't miss real communication, I missed the gossip.
2. I compulsively checked for comments to my posts, looking for validation.
3. Their views on breastfeeding are archaic and discriminatory.
4. Their privacy agreement is constantly changing, never easy to understand, and seem designed to dupe the average user.
5. The founders seem to be unethical and have reportedly engaged in shady practices. I have never heard a flattering thing about Mark Zuckerberg. Nothing that makes me want to give him my personal information and control of my intellectual property on a daily basis.
6. Even as someone who studies social media in my pursuit of my masters, I can't see the benefit to me to maintain half-assed relationships that don't involve real communication--just bullet points of info on people that doesn't really tell anything of substance.

No comments: