Saturday, January 29, 2011

Man, it is taking longer than I thought it would to get the nonveg stuff out of the house! I've putting butter on the sourdough bread Ryan's been making. Last night I made fried rice, which would have been vegan if I hadn't taken the opportunity to get rid of our last eggs. One went into a hair mask. This morning I put buttermilk in Rory and my pear pancakes.  We still have heavy cream, some ground turkey, red snapper, and various cheese things, mayo. And hot dogs.

This veg thing is fun, though! I'm really looking forward to getting this stuff gone and reorganizing my kitchen. I'm excited to cook with new things, and I have no problem with buying the really good ingredients since my grocery bill no longer includes meat and dairy. And neither does my diet. I don't feel the need for sugar free syrup, there is so little sugar in our diet anyway. And fatty foods (like avocados and cashews) taste SO rich. I NEED to figure out a vegan chocolate source. For my wine tasting.

I spoke to our doctor about Rory being vegan, and she said that Rory will do fine on a milk substitute (I think she suppressed an eye roll. I think my internet research wears her out). We had her on half almond/half cow's milk, and we switched to all almond.

And then the rash on her face got worse. So we finally have a catalyst. This morning she had soy milk, but didn't like it so she got pomegranate juice instead. We're going to try a few different milk substitutes and see if removing the almonds clears up her little face. The doctors think it is just an irritation from her pacifier, but that doesn't make sense to me since sometimes it spreads from around her mouth (where it is concentrated) to her eyelids (upper and lower) and nose. Anyway, we'll see when we test our hypothesis.

2 comments:

thelowreysfour said...

You are wise to try cutting off the almond milk. You are probably right about it being an allergy. Coconut milk is a good one to try if she doesn't like the soy.

Kate Walz said...

Thanks!! 24 hours without almond milk and it definitely looks better. She didn't like unsweetened soy milk, but she definitely likes the regular. I also got hemp milk, so she'll try that one next.

It's weird, she has no issue with peanut butter. Whatever! No more almonds in my couscous. :(