One step in making the transition to vegan is reexamining old favorites and veganizing. I love pasta and cream sauces. Really, pasta anytime. I decided to go for a revamp of one of my favorite comfort foods: Alfredo.
I found a recipe online for vegan sauce which had a soy milk and cashew base and was filled with nutritional yeast, tamari, tahini, and other such yummy goodness (like garlic, paprika, and nutmeg). Blend and serve.
Let me start by saying that I did not have the cashews, a fairly important part of the recipe for texture and flavor. This sauce tasted nothing like any alfredo I've ever eaten. I'm not sure how you could really compare the two. I think it was mostly me--the lack of cashews and a tad too much lemon.
However, it was really good! Much better served piping hot, and I did let it thicken on the stove a little (again with the cashews, the final product was a little thin). After it thickened I added vegetable based pasta (bought in bulk at Whole Foods) and added some peas. Really, quite tasty. I did like it, but I am looking forward to further tweaks later.
No comments:
Post a Comment