Monday, July 14, 2014

Silver-linings.

Let's talk about 2014.

We've had a LOT on our plates. It's starting to feel very heavy and oppressive. It passed, "Oh man, I guess it's our turn" and "Seriously, what did we do to deserve this?" to "No, please, no more."

I'm usually a pretty grateful person, and I'm working very hard to not become bitter about this crap year and it's onslaught of shit. So let's silver-lining it.

1. We've had FIVE (six if you count my current 8 day flu) medical events this year.
Silver-lining: One was a perfect, healthy, fat-cheeked baby boy.

2. Ryan's nasal hemorrhage
Silver-lining: We were still on our good insurance, so it wasn't super expensive. And he did not die, which the googles tried to convince me he would.

3. My pregnant fall that broke my toe and sprained my ankle and left me with a permanently crooked toe thanks to improper taping by the nurse.
Silver-lining: The baby was fine after the fall. It helped me hit my deductible sooner in the year.

4. My IUD was shoved through my uterus rather than placed in it.
Silver-lining: I have to reach with this on. It helped me face my control issues. My uterus is fine and should be able to cook another baby if we decide to have one. This time I did hit my deductible.

5. Andrew got dropped on his head resulting in a subarachnoid hemorrhage on the right side of his brain. The absolute scariest day of my life.
Silver-lining: Thanks to our maxed out deductible, we have no outstanding medical debt from this. Andrew is fine (although currently cranky because I won't let him take a nap yet. I want him to sleep longer than 45 minutes), his usual self.

6. I got a flu shot and somehow still got the flu.
Silver-lining: Nobody else in the family has it, and by now there would at least be symptoms. My husband is magic when it comes to taking care of me. I over did it by going to an event I had tickets to, should have just skipped it.

7. A hail storm caused $20k to our houses (combined).
Silver-lining: The new roof insurance paid for will be a great selling point next year.

8. A wind-storm blew huge branches down from every tree in our backyard. Not covered by insurance.
Silver-lining: Ryan got some exercise when he hauled them all off. That's all I got. Nothing broke our roof.

9. A second wind-storm blew a remaining branch down onto the phone line, tearing it from our house and some of the siding.
Silver-lining: While it pulled the electrical wire loose, it did not disconnect it from the house, and KCPL was able to get it back up no problem.

10. Our foundation needs $10k in repairs, as the house has moved an inch north. You can see the support beam sticking out the side of the south side of the house, and the inch the house has moved the other direction.
Silver-lining: There is no structural damage (that comes at about 2 inches of movement). And again, fresh foundation work will be a great selling point.

And now just good things:

Ryan and I work very well together, and somehow we've gotten through all this with zero fighting. About the big stuff, anyway. It hasn't added stress and snapping at each other.

We have two beautiful, sweet, smart, healthy babies.

Ryan's job pays him very well, and he is constantly presented with other opportunities.

Rory starts swimming lessons today, a small luxury we can afford even with all the craziness.

Ryan can do a lot of the work that needs to be done around the house, and work from home if necessary.



Teething.

Locked and loaded




Gayla is in town for July! I took my illness out, couldn't risk not seeing her.


White Party. My hair looked awesome for roughly 10 minutes.


No comments: